Sunday, January 18, 2009

Sunday Scribblings #146 - Pilgrimage

Sunday Scribblings #146 -- Pilgrimage

This doesn't have to be religious (but it can be). Is there something you'd like, in your lifetime, to go far to see? It can be a quirky personal journey to do with your hobbies or interests, or something very serious, meaningful, and/or spiritual.

FROM SINGLE MOTHER TO MARRIED PARTNER

I think the hardest pilgrimage of my life so far, has been the 4 years when I was a single mother working full-time at Pizza Hut and going to college full-time to become a Registered Nurse. To say times were tough is an understatement!! Even with working and getting a few scholarships, there was no money.

But those 4 long, hard years paid off and I began working as a full-time Registered Nurse, making more money than I ever thought possible ($10 an hour - this was 1987). It was during this time I got remarried to a wonderful man who treated me and my children like queens!

Although I have been through some tough times in my 46 years, the pilgrimage from single, unemployeed mother to married, working partner was the hardest - but it is the one I look back on with the most pride.

7 comments:

Mary said...

I think it's a great idea to think of that journey in your life as a pilgrimage. Well written.

Anonymous said...

something for you :

http://creatingnewblog.blogspot.com/2009/01/i-award-thee.html

Tumblewords: said...

Interesting pilgrimage! So glad it worked so well for you!

Anonymous said...

Those memories make it all worthwhile - especially when like you, you actually achieve something.
Well done!

linda may said...

You can be proud of that pilgrimage. Good for you!

Jeanie said...

I love this. You share something special about you -- and I agree with Mary and the pilgrimage thought.

Anonymous said...

HI Bobbi,
Your post shows the power of determination and success on your own. Your pilgrimage- "You've come a long way!" Congrats for obtaining an RN degree while a single mom. That's a tough career to study for even without a child!

Pleased to hear you're hubby is so loving to your child and you sound happy.