Monday, January 19, 2009

Musing Monday

Today's Musing Monday prompt:

How does your being sick (or injured) affect your reading? Do you read more? Less? Do you pick out a different book than you had already planned? Do you have a "comfort book" that makes you feel better?

Just like with comfort food - Ho-Hos and Cheese-its - and comfort movies - Labyrinth and Lord of the Rings - I have comfort books. I know this may seem silly, but when I'm sick, I tend to seek out many things for comfort.

My favorite comfort reading is the Harry Potter series. I know, I know - I'm 46 years old, why am I reading a children's series? Because it's fun and comforting, and it's something to read when my brain is feeling fuzzy, but I need the gentle soothing of the written word.

Sometimes, I'll have a sort illness and I may only read one book of the seven. But many times, my illness has lasted several days, and I've been known to start with The Sorcerer's Stone and read all the way through The Deathly Hallows.

This is one of the main reasons I am so good at Harry Potter Trival Pursuit! Oh yes, you can bet your magical broom - our family owns this Trival Pursuit game!

3 comments:

Jo said...

Oh I need to get Harry Potter Trivial Pursuit! Although I bet my son would beat me every time! Lol.

Jeanie said...

Golly, it all depends on how I'm sick. Headache? Less reading. Aches and pains? Probably a little more! And nothing too dense!

Jams said...

Comfort books. What a fine notion. I guess I have comfort movies. Old "feel good" movies. I lie in bed, sniffling and coughing and watching a familiar friend.