Monday, January 26, 2009

Musing Monday


Today’s MUSING MONDAYS post is about lending books...

A few weeks back we had a question about borrowing books, this week I was wondering what your policy was on lending books. Do you lend books to anyone? Just friends? Only big readers? How long are they allowed to have them?

For the most part, I'm fairly laid-back when it comes to loaning out my books. Typically, I only loan to family and close friends. As a rule, I don't loan books to people I work with. I don't normally have a time limit for people to return books, so I try to keep a list of who has what book.

All the books I loan out have a bookplate with my name and address. My thinking is this will make it easier for the loanee to remember to return the book.

Like most other people, I have lent books in the past which never got returned. The friend from work who borrowed the first 3 Left Behind books - she quit her job and never returned the books. I called her several times, but to no avail.

Because I categorize my books into 2 groups - books I will keep forever and review copies I don't necessarily want to keep, I usually tell the loanee which category a book is in. I also remind the loanee not to mark in my books or dog-ear the pages - I hate when people dog-ear the pages of books!

Of course, I do have a few books that I will not loan out to anyone. First edition copies of older books and books I have had personally autographed. These types of books hold a place of honor in my home library, so I keep them close to me - I don't want to take the chance they won't be returned or that they may become damaged.

10 comments:

Rebecca Johnson said...

Man, oh man, is that your library! I want to live there!

"Sunshine" said...

Bobbi, I have an award waiting for you at my blog. Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

Please tell me that's your bookcase! You can answer that question on my post.

Musing Monday 25

Beth F said...

Cool photo! Having nameplates in your books is a good idea.

Jo said...

I had nameplates in all my books as a child. Not a habit a kept u though!

Anonymous said...

I want to lay on that couch and never leave. Wow!

My books are in different "lendability" categories, too. I keep a strict spreadsheet of books, with columns of people who have "checked them out." The people I lend to know that, and they respect my ownership, for the most part. They usually don't keep them for too long, and take really good care of them!

gautami tripathy said...

Great library!

Lending books

Anonymous said...

Oh wow... I love your library!

I think maybe in a different time and place I could be persuaded to lend out the odd book to certain people. But in the here and now, definitely not. :)

Lisa (Southern Girl Reads) said...

OMG!! I love your library! Hopefully mine will grow up to be like that one day. :) I once loaned out my Bible that was given to me as a gift, and instantly knew I'd regret it. I got it back 8 years later! It went to Virginia and back to Florida in that 8 years and was lost in storage! Never Again!!

Nise' said...

I am drooling here...how beautiful.
Great idea to have a bookplate.