Thursday, February 26, 2009

Poppies

Pictures, Poetry and Prose prompt for the day:


(Photo by Tracy at Converstion and Tea )

Suggested prompt...Include a poppy or poppies in your writing today.

And now, my beauties, something with poison in it. Poppies...Poppies. Poppies will put them to sleep. Sleep. Now they'll sleep!

--Wicked Witch of the West in MGM's adaptation of The Wizard of Oz


Poppies are one of the flowers my Granny Sallee always had growing in her garden. I loved those round orange blossoms and would pick handfuls of bouquets to bring into her house. Granny has been gone for 15 years now, but I still think about her whenever I see poppies.

My backyard is a 3/4 acre wildflower meadow and I have poppies growing in several different areas. It makes me happy to look out my kitchen window in the late spring and early summer and see those orange heads bobbing in the breeze.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

really nice flowers...

Tracy said...

Hi Bobbi,

Like you, my very first thought (every time I see a gathering of poppies) is the scene from The Wizard of Oz!

They do invoke that sleepy memory into being, don't they?

All my best,
Tracy