Wednesday, February 18, 2009

One-Minute Writer - Reading

Today's One-Minute Writing Prompt: Reading

Write about a childhood memory related to reading.

I first learned to love reading when I was 8 years old and my babysitter's daughter gave me one of her Trixie Belden books to read. I was hooked from the first chapter. From that day forward, I read every Trixie book by Julie Campbell available, and then I moved on to others. The Betsy Books by Carolyn Haywood, The Three Investigators by Robert Arthur Jr., The Chronicles of Narnia by C. S. Lewis, The Land of Oz series by L. Frank Baum, Encyclopedia Brown, A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle - these are just a few of my childhood favorites.

I am still an avid reader and this habit has been transferred to my youngest daughter - age 16 - who loves reading as much as I do.


.

2 comments:

Tracy said...

I was a big fan of The Betsy Books! I remember one year wishing that we would get snowed in too so my mother would have a baby named Star. :)

Funny how those child minds work!

Jeanie said...

As you know, I was a Trixie fan to the nth degree! But I also loved Carolyn Heywood's books -- one of my favorite childhood memories was taking the train to Detroit to hear her speak -- my mom bought me Back to School with Betsy. It was the best!