Thursday, February 19, 2009

One-Minute Writer - Impression

Today's One-Minute Writing Prompt: Impression

Write about a first impression you had that ended up being wrong.

I was 14 when I first met my ex-mother-in-law. I thought she was the grandest person ever! During the 3 years I dated her youngest son, she seemed like the "perfect" mother - taking us places, buying us "stuff", and just being involved in what we were doing.

Unfortunately, this person turned into the Wicked Witch of the West! As I grew older, I realized she was vain and selfish and her only goal in life was to be better than everyone around her.

Needless to say, during the 6th year of our marriage, when she learned my ex-husband was having an affair, and she was totally okay with that! Can you imagine??!! During the 1 1/2 years it took for our divorce, she and her son managed to take everything away from me and my two daughters - our home, our livelihood, EVERYTHING!

I should have listened to my ex-sister-in-law (married to my ex's brother) when she told me this woman was crazy - but I was blinded by love. I learned the hard way that first impressions can be very deceptive!

2 comments:

Natalie said...

That picture is priceless!!!! Fits with your story so well.

Jeanie said...

I agree with Natalie. That's an awful experience to have lived for, and apart from making you stronger in the end, probably is about as bad as it gets. I admire you got through that and are the person you are today.