Monday, February 9, 2009

Bookmarks

Today's Musing Monday prompt:

What do you use to mark your place while reading? Do you have a definite preference? Do you use bookmarks, paper, or (gasp) turn down the pages? If you use bookmarks, do you have a favourite one?



I never, ever, ever dog-ear the pages of a book!!! Not just my own books, but books I have borrowed from the library, family or friends. That being said, I don't really have a system or a favorite bookmark - I typically use whatever is on hand.

Those little card stock inserts from magazines - the ones I hate because they are always falling out when you pick a mag up - make perfect books marks. Hey, you've got to use them for something and it keeps them out of the landfield.

I have also been know to use grocery or Wal-Mart receipts, empty chewing gum wrappers, yarn scraps, junk mail and anything else within easy reach. This is the reason I don't have special bookmarks - I have trouble keeping up with them and I usually have several books going at one time.

5 comments:

jlshall said...

Chewing gum wrappers make excellent bookmarks. Also wooden coffee stirrers (unused, of course). Also postage stamp booklets, after the stamps are used up. As you say, just about anything in easy reach can be a bookmark!

Lynn Irwin Stewart said...

I prefer to use an actual bookmark because they just seem to be the right size -- and I like the string hanging off the end! But, sometimes, I just grab whatever's handy -- anything from mail to piece of fabric. I think I used an unused coffee filter once. Sometimes, I'll use the flap of the book jacket -- though I usually remove it while I'm reading. I never dog-ear a page either. Can't stand it. Nor can I stand writing in books -- unless it's a workbook and meant to be written in!

NoBS said...

Really, the thinness (is that a word) of receipts make them perfect bookmarks. I, also, use the subscription cards.

Anonymous said...

Even i stopped folding the book pages long back... :) read my post to know of my book marks :)

Anonymous said...

disappears Electric Blankets denunciation Furnace Filters toxicology Vending Machines cemetery Kitchen Cabinets menswear Slipcovers daingean Polar Heart Rate Monitors tlalnepantla Popcorn Machines manageable