Monday, February 16, 2009

Musing Monday

Today’s MUSING MONDAYS post is about book reviews…

Do you read any non-blogging book reviews? If so, where (newspaper, library etc)? Do you have any favourites sources you'd like to share?

Although I read several book review blogs (in addition to having my own book review blog, Bobbi's Book Nook), this is not my only source of book reviews.

The first place I look for book reviews (every Friday) is Entertainment Weekly. I receive my EW magazine every Friday, and the first thing I read are the book reviews. I also read the book reviews in the two Sunday papers I frequent - Lexington Herald-Leader and Advocate Messenger.

Because I am also the book reviewer for my local newspaper - The Harrodsburg Herald - and my local library - Mercer County Public Library - I have access to several book review publications. A few of these are: Kirkus Review, Library Journal, The New York Book Review, Publisher's Weekly, and Children's Literature.

As you can see, reading is a huge passion for me, so I like to keep up to date with the latest books. Even though I'm an adult, I LOVE to read young adult fiction series - I think it's a hold-over from my childhood. There is just something special about reading a series of book with the same characters - they turn into your friends and you want to learn everything about them.

5 comments:

Lynn Irwin Stewart said...

I read the ones in PEOPLE and ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY and the ones in my local newspaper (and, if I happen to pick up another magazine/newspaper that has them, I will read them but I don't go out of my way). Since I've discovered book blogs, I feel that I get more and better info from them.

Robin M said...

I really like young adult fiction as well. They are so entertaining.

My post is up now.

Happy Monday!

Anonymous said...

I should try a local paper.

Ann H Gabhart said...

I like reading book reviews, too. I was sorry when the Lexington Herald-Leader cut their book page back to one page. And sometimes not that. Kentucky Monthly has book reviews every month and so does Kentucky Living. I enjoy your reviews of young adult books. When I was publishing my young adult novels several years ago, I used to tell adults when they asked about reading my books that they could be young at heart.

Anonymous said...

I knew you are a reviewer .. but glad to see you too read so amny reviews !! nice job :D