Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Write on Wednesday


Today on Write on Wednesday, Becca's topic is writer's groups.

"Are they better writers and better people because of their work with each other? What could be a better goal for a writing group - or any group for that matter?

How about you? Have you ever belonged to a writer’s group? Did it work? Why (or why not?) What would be your criteria for the perfect writer’s group?"

At one point I did belong to a writer's group, but all the participants were so much older than me and they never talked about any topics that interested me. I also had the same problem as Becca, every time a cell phone would ring, someone would answer it and then proceed to have a conversation. How rude! After 6 weeks of meeting once a week, I gave the group up. I was finding that I accomplished more by myself.

Of course, I think writer's groups are very important. It's great to have like minded people to share works in progress and to bounce ideas off of. My favorite fictional author is Laurell K. Hamilton, who writes the Anita Blake: Vampire Hunter series and the Merry Gentry series. She belongs to a writer's group called the Alternate Historians and they meet regularly to discuss each other's works. She is always blogging about the importance of her writing group and she typically gives them a mention in the acknowledgements of her books.

I really wish I had a small group of writers I could meet with, but I want to work on writing, not discuss personal issues. I love critiquing other people's works and I love getting feedback on my own.

I have found lots of writing inspiration from my bloggy friends, especially Becca, but I agree that ocassional face to face meetings would be great. But until I can find that perfect group, I'll keep writing and surfing the blogging world, picking up inspiration along the way.

1 comment:

Jeanie said...

I couldn't agree more! I don't really have a writing group either, at least a face-to-face one! But I have really enjoyed visiting so many blogs -- both writing and otherwise -- and seeing what others have to say. It helps me think about things more concretely and grow, and that's really important!

Thanks for visiting the Gypsy, too! I liked the art you showed on one of your other blogs!