Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Write On Wednesday

Becca at Write On Wednesday had the following writing prompts for this Wednesday:
How about you? Do you consider yourself a writer? Do you think blogging is “real writing?” What does it take to be a “real writer”?

I have just recently started calling myself a writer. I written articles for the local paper for 12 years, but always considered my "main" job as an RN my "real job". However, writing has started to consume more and more of my life - and I don't consider it work. Writing is what I do for a living - it's what makes me, me.

Yes, I do consider blogging as writing! Blogging is the main reason I now call myself a writer. If it wasn't for the hours I spend at my keyboard updating several blogs, I'd probably lose my mind!

To me, a writer writes - and that's what I do! So I think a writer should spend part of the day honing their craft and then trying to get it out into the world for others to read. At least, that's my hope with the writing I do. I don't write to be famous or publish lots of books (although I can't wait to get that first one published), I write because if I didn't, I think my mind would explode.

3 comments:

Becca said...

"Writing is what I do for a living - it's what makes me, me."

I love your reponse, Bobbi, and I think this statement is the perfect answer to the question I started off with!

I'm excited about your new blog - I'll be back often to see what your muse is cooking up!

Jams said...

I see that Becca got to leave the first comment.

I too consider blogging real writing. Like you, I believe my mind would explode if I didn't release my angst, sorrow, or elation through writing, and somehow it feels more complete if I "get it out there" so others can read it. I'm glad that you can call yourself a writer. I haven't quite gotten there yet, but I sometimes think of myself that way. It's still my secret.

Good luck with your new blog.

Anonymous said...

congrats on starting this blog - saving it now as a favorite. You're right - this is a great place to organize your writing stuff AND share it, too. Cheers!