Monday, August 25, 2008

Monday Musings



Today's Monday Musings from Should Be Reading asks the following questions:



"So, what do you do when you find yourself in a reading slump? How doyou get out of it? do you keep trying different books until you find one that draws you in? Do you just give in to the slump until it passes, and do something other than reading for a time? Do you ask for help? And, if you ask for help, what great (or, not so great) advice have you been given on how to get out of a slump?

Typically, when I'm in a reading slump, I will pick up an old friend - that one book that always makes me happy and I can read it over and over again. Many times I will return to Laurell K. Hamilton, either her Anita Blake Vampire Hunter series or Merry Gentry series. She is my favorite paranormal writer and her books always make me feel like reading. Stephenie Meyer's Twilight Saga has the same effect on me. Two other authors I usually fall back on are Barbara Kingsolver and Bobbie Ann Mason.

Ocassionally, I will just keep trying different books, but when I'm in a slump, this doesn't always help. I have a huge TBR pile and many are waiting on book reviews, so I'll try reading through the pile. There are many, many times when I am reading 3 or 4 books at a time, taking notes or jotting down thoughts.

Usually, it takes that one great book to jar you out of a slump. It may be in the TBR pile or it may be at the library. It may be a recommendation from a friend or just a recommendation from Amazon.

My reading slumps don't last as long as my writing slumps, so that's a good thing. And I agree, there is nothing worse for a reading than not being able to read.

3 comments:

Jeanie said...

I wish I could manage more than one book at a time. On occasion -- say, a fiction and non-fiction -- I can do it. But not often!

Anonymous said...

I find writing essays on a book theme to be helpful- foils, anti-hero, etc.

Jams said...

I have occasionally gone back to a book I've read before and enjoyed it again. I find that if I'm at a different stage of life, I will understand things about the book that I didn't before. I sometimes view it differently. It's all in perspective, isn't it.