Friday, August 22, 2008

Sunday Scribblings #125


Sunday Scribblings #125 -- How I met my significant other, best friend, dog, cat, nemesis or (fill in the blank)?



1.)How did you meet your significant other?
Believe it or not, I met my hubby at Church. I was going through a rather traumatic divorce and I had two little girls, ages 3 and 4. For years I had gone to the couples class for Sunday School, even though my first husband (asshole) never went with me. During the divorce, I continued attending the couples class, even though it felt a little wierd. One day I sucked up the courage and attended the singles class and lo and behold, there he was.

It was instant attraction at first sight, although I was in no way ready to start a new relationship. We started going to the movies and the amusement park - as friends - but within six months my feelings toward him had changed and I realized I was in love!

We dated for four years - four very loooooong years. I was only 23 when we met - yeah, I know, I got married at 17, big mistake - and I had been a stay at home mom, so I had no marketable skills. I decided to go to nursing school because I knew I couldn't raise my girls by continuing to work at the Pizza Hut.

It took me three years to finish the nursing program and my current hubby helped me all the way. He was always there to help with the kids so I could study, or to bring supper over so I didn't have to cook. After the first year we were dating, he started asking me to marry him, but I kept turning him down. I had already graduated high school with someone else's name, so I wanted to graduate college with my own name (I took back my maiden name).

After four years of dating,three years of nursing school, and ten years of no work experience, everything happened for me during May of 1990. I graduated nursing school during the second weekend (12th), got married the next weekend (19th), and by the fourth week (30th) I was working my first full-time job.

We have been going strong for 22 years now, with no end in sight! Life truly does work in mysterious ways!


2.)On the flip side of that, are there any people in your life you have lost touch with who you wonder about?
My best friend from childhood, Damon Young, drifted out of my life when he graduated from high school - he was a year ahead of me. We used to do everything together when we were growing up. He is the one who tried desparately to talk me out of marrying my first husband - why oh why did I not listen to him???? Or anyone else for that matter. But I digress.

I've caught up with Damon twice since his graduation. Once when he visited immediately after my divorce - he was happily married and living in another state. The second time was when I was pregnant with my youngest (she's 16 now); he came to the hospital where I worked to visit a family member. We didn't have much time together and I miss him terribly. We didn't exchange contact info because I was too wrapped up in my own drama at the time.

Now that I think about it, his mother still lives in town. I think I'll call her and get his info.

3 comments:

Granny Smith said...

I so glad for your current happiness. This is a story with a happy ending! I hope you get in touch with your friend, Damon.

Beth Camp said...

Thank you for posting your love story which shows the gifts that courage and perseverance can bring.

paisley said...

wow.. that is a great story for this prompt... and about your friend call his mom,, dang wouldn't it be something to see him and meet his family???