Thursday, August 21, 2008

Booking Thru Thursday

Today's Booking Thru Thursday from Should Be Reading asks the questions:

What is your earliest memory of a library? Who took you? Do you have you any funny/odd memories of the library?

My earliest memories of the Mercer County Public Library in Harrodsburg, Kentucky is that the entire building used to be housed in the Historical Society. It still amazes me - when I visit the Historical Society - how tiny this building is! My mom would always take me to the library, which, when I look back, was kind of strange, because my mom is not much of a reader.

When I started Elementary School, I fell in love with the school library. So many books! By the time I was in the 4th grade I was a library assistant for Miss Joy, the librarian. I really thought I was hot stuff!

By the time I reached High School, I was still visiting the library often, but I was getting a lot of flack from my peers for reading so much. Looking back now, I shouldn't have let that bother me, but you know how peer pressure can be when you're a teenager.

Now, as an adult, I visit the Public Library two or three times a week. We got a brand new public library while I was still in elementary school, and it has already been expanded once since then.


Currently, the public library is working on plans for another expansion of the library. I'm so excited! I have been asked to set in with the planning committee to give input on the changes that will be made. It really is a wonderful time when a library has outgrown it's space. This tells me there are many, many people in our community that call the library home.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is great info to know.