Monday, August 11, 2008

The Beginnings of a Shaker Story

This is the beginning seed of a short story I would like to write about the Shakers of Pleasant hill.

"Today has been such a cold and miserable day. The Indian summer we were experiencing this past week is like a distant memory now that the cold, dampness of winter has set in. Sister Harriett has sent me to the Sister’s Shop today to help with the winter spinning, and I am thankful to be situated in front of the open fireplace. My toes have finally thawed from the short walk to the shop.

My name is Rachel Harris and I am twelve years old. I came to live in the Shaker Village at Pleasant Hill during the winter of 1838; I was only five. My father, Colonel Nathan Harris was killed during the battle at Perryville. My mother became ill with tuberculosis after my father’s death. Fearing that her only child would be left to fend for herself, my mother did the only thing she could. She brought me to the Shakers because she knew I would be well cared for. My mother died three months after leaving me in the hands of the Shakers.

The United Society of Believers in the Second Coming, or Shakers as they became known, came to Kentucky in 1806. They established a colony in Mercer County—Pleasant Hill."


© Bobbi Rightmyer

1 comment:

Jeanie said...

I visited Pleasant Hill and number of years ago, Bobbi. It's a beautiful, peaceful place. I hope you finish your story! I found it inspirational -- looks like you might, too!