Monday, June 15, 2009

Musing Monday

Today's Musing Monday prompt: Do you feel compelled to read prize-winning (Giller/Booker/Pulitzer etc) books? Why, or why not? Is there, perhaps, one particular award that you favour? (question courtesy of MizB)

I don't choose reading material based on awards won, simply because I've read many, many books that I thought deserved awards but never received them. Many times, my book club will choose award winning books to review, so I do read a few, but it is not a large factor in the books I personally choose to read.


However, if I do choose a book based on an award, it would have to be the Newbery Medal for children/young adult literature. The Graveyard Book - by Neil Gaiman - is the latest John Newbery Medal winner I read and I absolutely loved this book. I have a great passion for children/young adult books and in recent years, this category makes up the largest majority of my reading material.

4 comments:

Janet said...

I loved The Graveyard Book, too; it was my third favorite book I read last year!

Brooke from The Bluestocking Guide said...

I did pick A Wrinkle in Time because it won an award. Other than that- not really.

My post is up. Oh I started a book discussion forum on my blog called Cafe Blue. Visit if you can.

gautami tripathy said...

Did you know The Graveyard Book is loosely based The Jungle Book?

Mondays: Musings/Mailbox/whereabouts

Desert Rose said...

The Graveyard Book is on my TBR for a while and it's not because it's an award winning book but because I read Coraline and enjoyed it!!
So no I'm not compelled to read prize winners.. I prefer to read what I enjoy regardless if it won anything or not :)