Thursday, June 18, 2009

The Harrodsport Chronicles


(Dan Felstead of Wood and Pixel Narratives)

(This is an excerpt from book #1 of my work in progress, The Harrodsport Chronicles)

“There is no such thing as real ghosts,” said Charlie. “My parents said they were figments of the imagination.”

“Not here they aren’t. There are real ghosts at Rosewood Manor; I’ve seen them.” Daniel looked around the room. “I’ve never seen one in here, but I’ve seen them other places in the house.”

"Where,” asked Charlie.

“Mostly in the attic. I’m not supposed to go in the attic, but sometimes I like going up there just to get away from Ms. Summers.”

“What do the ghosts look like?” Charlie couldn’t believe she was actually having this conversation.

“Well, it’s only one ghost I’ve actually seen – Claudia. She’s one of my great, great ancestors or something. She’s really nice, not scary like you’d think a ghost would be.”

“Are you just saying this to scare me?” asked Charlie.

“No, I’m serious. But I’ve never heard Claudia crying. Usually she just shows up when I’m upset and need someone to talk to. She doesn’t talk to me, just stands around and watched me. She’s very pretty. Would you like to see a picture of her?” Daniel got up and walked over to one of the bookcases. He pulled a large leather volume off the third shelf.

“There’s actually a picture of her in that book?” Charlie had the feeling Daniel was trying to make fun of her.

“Yeah, this is one of the family history books. I told you, Claudia is some type of ancestor.” He opened the book and started flipping through the pages. He stopped at a picture of a beautiful young woman. Smoothing the page, he turned the book toward Charlie.

“Here she is, Claudia Harrod. She the old clothes she’s wearing? That’s what she usually has on when I see her.” The picture showed a young woman with dark hair piled on top of her head, ringlets hanging down to her shoulders. Her eyes were a piercing green, wide and innocent looking. The dress she was wearing was fancy with layer after layer of lace and ruffles.

“She’s very pretty,” said Charlie.

“Yeah, for a girl,” replied Daniel.

“Has anyone ever seen her beside you,” asked Charlie.“Nah, I used to mention it to my dad and Aunt Elizabeth, but they thought I was making up stories again. They’re always accusing me of making up stories. I guess sometimes, I do, but not about this. Claudia is real.” He closed the book and returned it to the bookshelf.

1 comment:

Dan Felstead said...

Bobbi...
Perfect storyline for the photo! I can see Claudia in the the old schoolroom!

Dan