Monday, September 1, 2008

Monday Musings


This week's prompt from MizB at Should Be Reading is about rereading books.




"Do you ever reread books? Do you have any favorites that you like to reread over and over, maybe once a year? What are they? What do you think you get out of rereading a bok? Why do you do it?"

For anyone who reads my book blog, Bobbi's Book Nook or my new blog, The Vampirary, then you already know I have a love of all things Vampire. My favorite fictional author is Laurell K. Hamilton. She writes two book series that I love: Anita Blake Vampire Hunter and the Merry Gentry series.



I love reading her books because I love the characters and the worlds she has created. When I reread her books, it's like catching up with old friends. I have a tendency to reread each book in the series before a new book is released. Currently, I'm rereading the Merry Gentry series because the 7th book in the series, Swallowing Darkness, will be released November 4th.


I love Stephenie Meyer's Twilight saga, and I have read all 4 books in the series twice already.


Also, Charlaine Harris writes the Southern Vampire Mysteries with Sookie Stackhouse and I have recently reread all the books in the series because they will become a TV series on HBO. True Blood premieres September 7th and I wanted to be up to date with all the ins and outs of Sookie.

Not all the books I reread are in the Vampire genre. I also love Patricia Cornwell's Kay Scarpetta series, although the last 3 books have been "way out there". I haven't been happy with her 3rd person narration, but it doesn't keep me from reading the series. The 16th book in the series, Scarpetta, will be released December 2nd. Every few years, I get the urge to reread her series, and again, it is great to catch up with old friends.

Do I ever reread book? You bet I do! Why do I do it? To relieve tension and stress from my jumbled life, to entertain my imagination and catch up with old friends, and to relieve boredom. Someone on one of the blogs I frequent asked the question last week, "What do you do when you're in a reading rut?" The answer for me is to reread a favorite book. It sparks the imagination and opens my mind for new reading challenges.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know how you feel! It feels good to be old friends, namely books!

My musings!

Anonymous said...

I tend to reread series alot!

Jams said...

One book that I've read more than once - you may enjoy it - is Harvest Home by Thomas Tryon. You may have already red it. It's been around for a long time.

Happy reading.

Jams said...

Oops. Typo. I meant read, not red.