Thursday, September 11, 2008

Rainy Days

I love dark, damp rainy days. Most people thrive in bright sunny, but not me. My creativity always seems to peak on days that appear dreary. I don’t know what the fascination is with these kinds of day, but since I was a little girl I have always been drawn to them. When I was in grade school, I would come home on rainy days and Mom would either be cooking or doing the laundry. Either one of these activities would leave our home with delicious smells and steamy windows. I always felt so warm and safe on those types of days.

Rainy days are wonderful for curling up with your favorite book or magazine. As a child I would love to curl up in a recliner, bury under a warm blanket and get lost in Trixie Belden or Betsy or Planet of the Apes. My imagination was free to roam at will, leaving me with many story ideas that I later transferred into my notebooks. I enjoyed writing stories almost as much and I did reading them; and I also liked illustrating my words, even though I am no artist. Christmas was always my favorite subject to write about. I would love trying to draw the things from my stories, or even items from my real life.

Dark spring and summer days make me want to reminisce into my past, dig out scrapbooks and review old journals. I find great romance in things from my past. Sometimes I will review my girls’ baby books. I enjoy reading about their accomplishments and growth. I love looking at pictures in scrapbooks and remembering how I felt at those times.

I always enjoyed being at my Granny Devine’s house when it was rainy or cold. Her house was so tiny, but it felt so homey. Granny was always cooking or baking something and her house was warm and cozy.


© Bobbi Rightmyer

3 comments:

Jeanie said...

This is such a wonderful post and one that really resonates (did I adore Trixie Belden and Betsy? You bet!). I love rainy days -- well, sometimes. When there are enough, but not too many! You don't feel guilty (well, I don't!) for not working in the yard or doing outdoor things. We're due for rain later, though it's sunny now. I'm not sure I want a rainy day today, though! (Beautiful photos, absolutely lovely.)

paisley said...

i am just coming to understand the beauty of a gray rainy day,,, after 7 winters spend in the gray wet gloom that is northern california in the winter,, i am learning that it seems to absolve me of all guilt... allow me to feel as if i am not being called to duty elsewhere,, and can really just relay and enjoy my own solitude...

i so enjoyed hearing your reasoning for the same.....

Anonymous said...

Rainy days are cozy - they envelope and and hold me up. I love hearing the rain on the roof, especially in the fall after a long hot summer. The air is cool then and damp, but not like the humidity that suffocates me in the summer.
Wasn't Trixie Beldon wonderful?! I so wanted to be her... I pretended to be her! It is just so nice to see that others enjoyed her too.