Tuesday, December 30, 2008

One-Minute Writing

Today's One-Minute Writing Prompt: The Best

If you could be the best in the world at something, what would it be?

Being the Best

"You're simply the best!" Sorry, couldn't resist!

After 46 years on this planet, I've decided I don't care if I'm ever the best at anything. Being the best at something usually means you let other things slide. I would much rather try my best at everything than be the best at just one.

I try my best to be a good wife - so far, the hubby of almost 20 years has very few complaints.

I try my best to be a good mother - after raising 3 daughters, I've made my share of mistakes, but I'm hoping the girls will remember the good times over the bad.

I try my best to be a good daughter/daughter-in-law - okay, so I don't call as much as I should, or visit more than once a week, but I'm always there in an emergency and they are always on my mind.

I try my best to be a good employee - sometimes I love my job, sometimes I hate it, but I have learned I'm a much better employee now that I'm retired from nursing.

I try my best to be a good friend - although I have many friends, I have only one true friend, and she is okay if I don't call her for 2 weeks at a time; I'm always there for her and she's always there for me.

I try my best to be a good volunteer and community servant - between my local public library and Habitat for Humanity, I feel good about the things I can do for other people.

I try my best to be a good writer - writing is my passion, so this is not a hard task; 2008 introduced me to local writing workshops which have boosted my self-esteem.

I try my best to be a good blogger - but really the blogs are for myself; you guys checking in a commenting are an added bonus I never thought I'd have.

Okay, this is starting to sound a little sappy - not my intention when I started. The main point I wanted to make is, I'm happy being a sheep and not the shepherd - but I try to be a good sheep. I've never had a desire to be the top dog, I'm happiest in the trenches ... just trying to do my best.


(Artwork by Altered Art Fun )

4 comments:

Beth Fehlbaum, Author said...

Great post, Bobbi!
Beth Fehlbaum, author
Courage in Patience, a story of hope for those who have endured abuse
http://courageinpatience.blogspot.com
Ch. 1 is online!

Anonymous said...

nice one !!! hearing it from a person who has lived double my age definitely rings true to me !! thanks for sharing :)

Anonymous said...

Something for you here :

http://creatingnewblog.blogspot.com/2008/12/awarded.html

Julia Phillips Smith said...

What a great post! When you're content, life is a lot more magical. I realize that burning ambition is a great spur to success, but I've generally equated burning ambition as akin to a simmering sort of rage, and I can't hold onto that.