Thursday, December 18, 2008

Cafe Writing - Unseen Wonders

December Cafe Writing: Option Six - Timed Writing

The most real things in the world are those that neither children nor men can see. Did you ever see fairies dancing on the lawn? Of course not, but that’s no proof that they are not there. Nobody can conceive or imagine all the wonders there are unseen and unseeable in the world.
~Francis P. Church, “Yes, Virginia, There Is a Santa Claus”


Take twelve minutes (use all twelve, but don’t go over), and write on the subject of unseen and unseeable wonders. This is a timed exercise and it’s expected that it won’t be perfect. Any format - fiction, essay, verse - is welcome.


Unseen Wonders

I know they're around me every day
The evidence is right before my eyes
A beautiful flower, a glistening rock
A heavenly scent from above

Some will tell you things are not real
If you can't see or smell or feel
But I believe in the unexplainable
The unseeable wonders abound

What of the stars way up in the heavens
Or the fluffy clouds floating by
What of the sun and the moon
I can't touch them, but they're real

So, what of prayers escaping from lips
Hushed and hurried, whispered in vain
Does God really hear, is he listening to all
Faith, I have faith he can hear

So, what of dreams filling our heads
Wishes and goals constantly thought
Do our dreams come true, does wishing make it so
Faith, I have faith dreams come true

So, what of love in this harsh world of ours
Does unconditional love still exist
Or has the me-me generation changed our path
Faith, I have faith love will see us through


(Artwork by Josephine Wall)

2 comments:

paisley said...

i really enjoyed that... i thought at first it was gonna go all god on me,, but it didn't... love might not work always and forever but even it does work... it is priceless..

Jeanie said...

Lovely. Very nice indeed.