Friday, November 7, 2008

Write on Wednesday

Write on Wednesday:

Are you having a hard time staying the course toward fulfilling your writing dreams? What are you doing about it?

For too many months to count, I have totally been off course in regards to my writing. That being said, over the past 6 weeks I have finally found my writing voice again.

Although I have been continually blogging since the first of the year, my creative writing has been in a slump. Book ideas that have been cramming my brain, stubbornly refused to be captured on paper.

Finally, at the encouragement of my hubby, I joined a local writing workshop at the public library. This was a big step for me because I'm not a very social person and being in groups of people - no matter how big or small - fills me with severe anxiety. But I went to class faithfully and the help and inspiration from my fellow classmates has spurred my writing muse into action.

I have completed a short story to be included in the writing workshop booklet the teacher is putting together. I've also completed two other short stories and a few poems.

But my biggest accomplishment has been starting my NaNoWriMo project on November 1st. I have broken the 18,000 word mark and I'm very excited with where my book is going. Telling myself to write at least one page daily has been a big help. For some reason that one page turns into 3 or 4 or 10!

Hopefully, by the end of November, I will have reached my 50,000+ words. Then starts the daunting task of editing and revising, and finally, looking for a publisher. Right now, I'm happy with the direction my muse has taken.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've often wished I could find a good writing group or workshop to attend. It would be hard to take that step into the "real live person" world of writers groups (compared to our great cyber writing groups!) Good for you for taking that step!

You're making great progress on the NaNoWriMo! I'm cheering for you!

Anonymous said...

Good morning! I'm the contrarian in the group, sitting over here in my corner, muttering a little - in short, I'm not a NaNoWriMo participant and I'm still trying to figure out why!

But I'm pleased and excited to see so many from the Write on Wednesday group trucking right along, and so happy with the progress. I'm especially happy that you're "back on course" - and doesn't it make a difference when there is someone to encourage us?!

I can't believe we're coming to the half-way point of the month - and I can't wait to see your word count total creep up even more!

Linda

Anonymous said...

Awesome! Wonderful! Congrats on your word count. And for joining a writing group (I'm so jealous) because it keeps you from getting stuck in a writer's vacuum. Hope to hear more about the workshop and about Nanowrimo ... speaking of which, I must get back to it.

Jeanie said...

I hope NaMo is going well! I admire that you've done the short story. But it's hard, isn't it, to do it all...!