Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Write on Wednesday

This week's question for Write on Wednesday:

Do you make time to write everyday? Don’t you think everybody should?

Since I was 13 years old, I have made time to write everyday, even if it is only for 5 minutes. I have always kept a diary or journal and I have dozens and dozens of them in a box in my closet. No one may ever read what I've written, but I know they are there. Occasionally I will pull one out from a specific time in my life and remember what was going on at that particular time.

In the past few years, I have started blogging more and more. This in no way replaces my journaling, but it is an extention of my writing. Blogs are a place for me to store my newspaper columns, the book reviews I write, or the answers to prompts I get from Musing Mondays, Write on Wednesday, Fictional Friday, and Sunday Scribblings. These prompts help to keep my imagination running and keep me away from some of the everyday worryings that pop up in my journaling.

I really wish everyone would take time to write every day, but just like with reading, I realize that will never happen. My youngest daughter keeps a journal, but right now her goal is to write at least once or twice a week. However, I hope she will gradually increase her writing time, especially after watching my journal day after day. My hubby is not a writer, but he does keep a journal in his truck to mark his gas mileage: actual miles, where he buys gas, what he pays for gas, how much he puts in, etc. It's not my kind of journaling, but it's what he does - he can tell me how much gas was 10 years ago and where we bought gas in 2000 when we drove to Washington, D.C.!

Writing is a part of me, but I totally understand there are people who never think about or have any desire to write. Writing is my way of artistic expression and it is something I hope to do until the day I die.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow - you have years and years of journals! that's awesome. Is writing easy for you?
ANd your husband's gas journal? what a great idea, a completely different slant/perspective.
Yes, surely your daughter will up her writing ante as she goes along. You are an excellent writing role model.
I have to read some of your columns!

Anonymous said...

I'm building quite a collection of journals myself...the daily writing gets to be a habit, like morning coffee!

Great post!