Thursday, April 16, 2009

Symbol of Death

The following poem was written by my 16 year old daughter. It was an assignment for our writing class and I felt it needed to be shared.



SYMBOL OF DEATH

By Christine Rightmyer
4.13.09

As my head slipped underwater,
All I could see were the lilies.
They call them the symbol of death…
Wouldn’t you agree?

The symbol of everything I wanted.
Wanting to slip away and never come back
The water closed in around me.
Wrapping its cool fingers over my body…

That was all I wanted, except…
You pulled me up before my time was gone.
Your fingers gripped my shoulders, eyes bearing into me.
The lilies were now gone, but you were here to stay.

1 comment:

Jeanie said...

Wow. I have a sneaking suspicion that powerful writing like this played a big hand in heading toward the school for the arts.

Bravo.