Wednesday, April 15, 2009

MY WILD GARDEN

March Cafe Writing: Option Five - Pick Three

Garden writing is often very tame, a real waste when you think how opinionated, inquisitive, irreverent and lascivious gardeners themselves tend to be. Nobody talks much about the muscular limbs, dark, swollen buds, strip-tease trees and unholy beauty that have made us all slaves of the Goddess Flora.
~Ketzel Levine


Pick at least three of the following words, and build a piece of writing around them. The form is up to you: poem, scene, flash-fic, essay, or general blog entry. If you want to be really daring, write a love letter, instead.

beauty, daring, inquisitive, irreverent, limbs, opinionated, strip-tease, unholy, waste




MY WILD GARDEN

This spring, due to circumstances beyond my control, I have been unable to mow my backyard - the riding mower is on the frits and I am not going to push mow an acre! So my backyard currently looks like a unholy jungle, no kidding. Although I consider my backyard my meadow garden, I usually cut the vegetation down in early spring and I try to keep the pathways mowed to give me easy access in walking through the garden.

I have so many plans for the back 40, but I have limited time and resources. I have several garden beds layed out and for years I have been transplanting divisions from the front yard to the back.

What I have noticed over the past two months is the beauty of the wildflowers, tree seedlings and shrubs which are springing up everywhere. Most people would be horrified at my daring overgrown yard, but I am in natural gardening heaven!

Most gardeners are opinionated when it comes to having the perfect garden, but I'm not looking for the perfect garden - not those manicured, symmetrical gardens where not a leave or limb is out of place. No, give me the native plants, the irreverent step-children of Mother Nature's garden.


.

No comments: