Tuesday, April 28, 2009

One-Minute Writing - Run

Today's One-Minute Writing Prompt: Run

What are you running from, or what are you running towards?


For the past 4 years, I have been running from life - running from the grief of my sister's death. Her passing left a huge crater in my heart and it has been difficult to leap over the wide expanse of pain. But this year I am trying harder - trying to pull my life together, trying to enjoy the small things in life, and trying harder with my writing career.

The best thing to ever happen with my writing is when I joined my community writers' group last fall - it has made a huge difference in my attitude on life and it has given me a network of other writers to lean on. For someone who has a severe anxiety disorder and hates being in large groups of people, I have been forcing myself to participate in public readings.

To say these activities scare me to death is an understatement, but I can actually see myself growing as a writing, instead of always hiding in the shadow. I realize that in order to get my work out there so others can read it, I am going to have to put myself out there as well. I'm still struggling, but the baby steps are turning into toddler steps and for the first time in 4 years, I'm catching glimpses of my former self.

After 4 years of self-deprecating pain and grief, I am now running toward a new life with new hopes and dreams.


(Artwork by PJ's Room)

.

No comments: