Monday, April 27, 2009

Musing Monday

Today's Musing Monday prompt:

Do you read non-fiction regularly? Do you read it in a different way or place than you read fiction? (question courtesy of Diane)


Although I don't read as much non-fiction as I do fiction, it is still a regular part of my reading diet.

I do read non-fiction in a different way because it is easier to skip around and read chapters out of order. Half of the non-fiction I read consists of gardening books and I'm usually looking for something in particular. The rest of the non-fiction I read is usually research for a story or essay I may be writing.

Probably the best non-fiction I've read lately is Team of Rivals by Doris Kerns Goodwin. This was not just another book on Abraham Lincoln – this book focuses on Lincoln’s leadership style and his insightful understanding of human behavior and motivation. Very interesting.

Typically whenever I read non-fiction, I've always got a pen and notebook handy because I'm notorious for taking notes and writing down quotations. I also tend to read them at home in my chair, whereas fiction books I can take outside or in the car.

1 comment:

Sherrie said...

Hi!
I am more a fiction book person. Have a great day!!

Sherrie