Sunday, November 1, 2009

Inevitable


Inevitable

Just when I should be having the time of my life,
I thought I wasn't complete
unless I had that one perfect someone to call my own.
Instead of hanging out with my friends,
I was caught in the loop of pleasing my man.
My heart would beat faster as
each class bell rang,
knowing we could steal brief moments, scheduling our after school time
so we were always together;
in hindsight it was probably not the thing to do.
But the excitement and joy and tummy butterflies was a high
we both sought to obtain.
Did the good outweigh the bad?
Obviously it did because we ended up together, at least for a short time.
The problem is, it wasn't enough
to satisfy the itch we both had deep down inside for something more,
something special to fulfill an aching need.
So we crashed and burned,
engulfed by flames in a magnificent bonfire
of heated words, angry acquisitions, finger pointing and screaming;
Two lives torn apart, two souls ripped asunder,
but the fallout damage affected much more,
and it would be years before the collateral was known.
Looking back the path is quiet clear,
even a child could see the course.
So why was I so blind at the time not to see the outcome
when it was right before my eyes?
I guess love really is blind and it has the ability
to swoop in and steal a childhood, give tunnel vision goals,
like the quest for the Holy Grail
and tempts us with a happily ever after.



I'm conquering my inner demons and to do that, I realize I'm going to have to revisit some painful things from my past. Sorry if the poetry/prose gets a little dark. ~~BDR

1 comment:

Jeanie said...

Bobbi, I so admire you. I can't imagine a better way to reach out to your past than through your beautiful poetry and I feel honored that you will share it with us. I think lots of us can relate to the message in this one.

Be dark if you need to. I still know there is light within you.