Thursday, October 15, 2009

Weeding Out Books

This is a me-me I did on my book review blog, but I thought maybe you would like to read this.

This will be my first entry for Booking Through Thursday
When’s the last time you weeded out your library? Do you regularly keep it pared down to your reading essentials? Or does it blossom into something out of control the minute you turn your back, like a garden after a Spring rain?

Or do you simply not get rid of books? At all? (This would have described me for most of my life, by the way.)

And–when you DO weed out books from your collection (assuming that you do) …what do you do with them? Throw them away (gasp)? Donate them to a charity or used bookstore? SELL them to a used bookstore? Trade them on Paperback Book Swap or some other exchange program?

When was the last time I weeded out my library? I must admit, I am a book whore and I have trouble getting rid of any of my books - hence the reason books are taking over my house. Currently, my book collection is overflowing into every aspect of my life - my bookshelves (crammed full and covering the top and floor space in front), my living room (my desk and numerous little piles), the kitchen (one cupboard and encroaching on the counter space), the bathroom (an overflowing bookcase next to the toilet), the hallway (more little piles), and the bedroom (is there really supposed to be a bed in here?).

The books I have parted with in the recent past has usually been review books that I did not enjoy reading - of course, this doesn't happen often because I try to be careful of what types of books I request. Most of my give aways have been self-published books, mainly because the editing job was done poorly, making the book difficult to read. When I do give away a book, it is typically a donation to the public library. I will occasionally give children's books to the elementary school library, but I don't get as many of these any more. Of course, when I finally have grandchildren, I sure I will be holding on to my children's books!

As you can see, I am a book-o-holic and I have been my entire life. You should also take into consideration I am married to a book lover, so his collection is merging with mine. And did I mention my 17 year old daughter? With 2 parents who love books, there was no hope for her. It has been months since I was able to enter her room because her collection is actually growing faster than mine.

So many books, so little time and space ...

4 comments:

gautami tripathy said...

Your daughter is doing great!

:D

exulting mixture

gautami tripathy said...

Sorry, I left a poetry link. THis is the right link:

Booking Through Weeding

Dan Felstead said...

Bobbi...we are right with you...my wife literally has 8 bookcases in our basement full of books...Each time there is a library sale...another trunk full makes it to our house! Also, I finished The Lost Symbol. Not to give anything away but I sent you a message right after someone died...I have now finished the book if you get my drift!

Dan

Jeanie said...

Bobbi, I'm a book whore, too. Sometimes I'll take things I know I'll never look at again to the resale if I don't know someone who would like to read them. Otherwise, there they stay...