Monday, October 12, 2009

Best Sellers List


Today’s MUSING MONDAYS post is about books on your top book lists…
This past week, Borders re-released it’s 100 Favorite Books of All Times. Do you vote in these kinds of polls when they arise? Do you look through the list, or seek out books featured?


Unless it is a local poll, I don't normally take part in these types of things, but I do love looking through lists of favorite books. I always check out the New York Times Best Sellers to see what everyone else is reading. Sometimes I'll choose a books from this list, sometimes I don't - I just like being up to date with current books.

One list I do read a lot of books from is the Entertainment Weekly list. I am totally into pop culture, so many times I will read books recommended by EW. Many times I will have already read a book recommended by EW and this is really cool as well.

I also like looking at the book review section of the Lexington Herald Leader - this is a "local" paper printed in a town 35 miles from my hometown. It's interesting to see what books make their list compared to other lists. I really love books by Kentucky authors, so this is a great way to find new authors.

But I don't rely on list to make my books choices - I like to think I'm an independent person and I have eclectic tastes in books. Right now, I'm going through a young adult phase - actually, it's been going on for several years, but I still enjoy it. I like finding new YA books that interest me and then telling friends and school age kids about my finds. I do the same thing for Kentucky authors - I'm always happy to spread the love around.

I believe "lists" are an important part of the book industry - it's a great way to spread the word on great books. I just think most people should go beyond the lists and find other great books that are worthy of reading.

2 comments:

gautami tripathy said...

I too check out the New york beste seller list. Not that I have to choose from it.

Mondays: Mused/Amused etc etc

Lynn Irwin Stewart said...

I don't really pay much attention to lists -- mostly because I have such a narrow range of the kind of books I like to read (mostly historicals up to World War II -- and that's pushing it). Most of the books I see on bestseller lists just don't appeal to me -- and I decided awhile back that I'm not going to spend time reading what I don't like. Yeah, I probably miss out on a few good novels but that's okay -- I have plenty more to keep me busy. I agree with you, though -- lists help spread the word and getting people to read is never a bad thing.