Monday, October 26, 2009

Note Taking

Today’s MUSING MONDAYS post is about note taking:
Do you take notes while reading – either for your reviews or for yourself? How/where do you make these notes (on the page, post-its, scrap paper, notebooks etc)?




I am a notorious note taker when it comes to reading books, but it's because I want to remember so many things. Although I always read for pleasure, almost all the books I read end up being reviewed. I have a separate notebook I keep all the notes from books I'm reviewing. I also am a huge fan of "sticky notes" so my books are usually crammed full of them. This helps me when I'm looking for a specific passage I want to use in a review.

When I started my book review blog over 2 years ago, it was mainly going to be a way for me to keep track of the 100s of books I read every year. However, about 6 months into blogging, the book reviews began to take on a life of their own and before long, I was receiving review books in the mail. You don't know what a rush it is for a book whore like me to come home from work and find a box of books on my doorstep!

For many, many months I accepted any and all offers to read and review books, but I quickly learned this was not going to work for me. I was getting such a wide variety of books I was overwhelmed. Although I occasionally enjoy a self-help book on certain topics, many of the books I received were just that. I was also receiving many self-published books, which there is nothing wrong with, but many of these books could do with a good editor.

I finally realized I had bitten off more than I could chew - or read - so I quit requesting every new book that came down the pipeway. Now I only review books I think I will truly be interested in and my life is much happier and not as hectic.

I am currently still on a young adult book kick - mainly series books - so I was thrilled to receive a huge shipment of books last week from Candlewick Press. I did not know about this publishing house until I read Silas House's new book, ELI THE GOOD. Out of courtesy, I always send the publisher a copy of any book reviews I do, but when I check out their website, I was amazed at the collection of books I was interested in. Now I'm like a kid on Christmas morning wading through book about glorious book, so stayed tuned for many upcoming reviews.

I also have a keen interest in Kentucky authors and I try to read all I can get my hands on. The Kentucky Book Fair is coming up November 7th and I have already started making my list of which authors I want to meet and which books I want to buy. It should be very exciting.

3 comments:

MizB said...

Wow! Judging from that picture and what you've written, you're very organized! And, it makes me feel less crazy. ;) I'm not QUITE as organized as you seem to be, but I love my notebooks -- I am a very avid note-taker. ;)

I totally hear you on being giddy at receiving all the review books! I'm like that, too! And I, too, have learned the hard way about requesting too many. I've had to temper my review-book requesting, so as not to get myself so overwhelmed. ;)

It's so hard, though! They all sound so very good!!! :P

caite said...

I hate organized people...lol

I do however understand the hole you can get in requesting too many books. I have not requested ANY for awhile now, trying to catch up and clean up the ARC pile.

well, except the one I asked for today. :-)

Heather said...

I definitely couldn't take on this job. I can't read just anything. It has to be something of interest or it just won't enter into my brain's cyclone of thoughts :)

Bobbi, I began a new blog similar to PPP - you writer Lady you. Pop in to visit and leave your mark now and then, okay?!

Write With Pictures