Monday, May 11, 2009

One-Minute Writer - Apprentice

Today's One-Minute Writing Prompt: Apprentice

You are given the opportunity to be an apprentice for one year. Under whom will you apprentice?


I would apprentice with a great writer or novelist. Several great Kentucky writers come to mind: Bobbie Ann Mason, George Ella Lyons, and Silas House. Although Silas is a fairly new author, I love his way of writing and the voice he uses for his works.

I know I should probably add William Shakespeare to this list, but I truly don't enjoy his work, although he is a classic. I do enjoy Edgar Allan Poe and Ray Bradbury, but their works are really not the things I enjoy reading on a day to day basis.

Basically, I enjoy fiction stories - especially fantasy and science fiction - so to many people, these works aren't considered literature. So be it, I never claimed to want to be a scholarly writer. I really want to write for young adults because I have a deep love of fantasy - left over from the many daydreams of my childhood.

.

No comments: