Monday, June 22, 2009

School Bus Memories


(Today's Picture-Poetry-Prose prompt: photo by Simply Heather of Simply Joyful Photos)
Suggested prompt...Write creatively using a memory from your elementary school days. Would love for you to have one with a bus in it, but some of you may not have taken a bus.

School Bus Memories

My school bus memories revolve around sitting and talking with my best friend, Damon. When I was in high school, most of my good friends were guys, and Damon was the best of the best. Although we hung out together often after school, it was the long school bus rides to and from school that I relished.

The only problem is, my boyfriend was so obnoxiously jealous, he hated for me to talk to Damon. Although he and Damon were very good friends, my ex couldn't stand the fact I enjoyed talking with another boy. I'm ashamed to admit it, but Damon and I used to get off the bus at school separately, because my ex was always waiting for me to get off the bus. We would sit on the side of the bus opposite to where he would be waiting and then Damon would get off before me; I would wait until the bus was almost empty before getting off.

Ah, the things we think we have to do for love! In hindsight, my high school sweetheart/ex-husband was one of the biggest regrets of my life. The only good thing to come out of this abusive relationship was my oldest two daughters. I wouldn't trade my girls for anything in the world.

No comments: